centerlogobigAAD logo

enarzh-CNnlfrdehiplrues
Design

Designed by McKim Meade and White this former college fraternity house will be restored to its former glory.

Screen Shot 2019 10 06 at 00.50.14

Built by a firm whose works became physical analogs of the growing aristocracy in America from the late 19th century through the early 20th, St. Anthony Hall is a former chapter house for the secretive Delta Psi Fraternity. The building was incorporated into the Williams College campus in 1966 and now houses its Center for Development Economics.  

In 1885, architect Stanford White of McKim, Mead & White designed the Old English style hall in a bold deviation from the Beaux Arts style for which the firm became known. St. Anthony Hall is topped by steeply-pitched roofs and its design nods to the collegiate gothic style that would permeate campuses across the United States in the decades following. However, White is more notably associated with projects like the triumphal arch at Washington Square (1889), the second Madison Square Garden (1890), the Villard Houses (1884), and several clubhouses that would epitomize the glamor of New York’s high society. 

To read more on Masonry:

https://www.masonrymagazine.com/blog/2019/08/29/restoring-st-anthony-hall-at-williams-college/

 Screen Shot 2019 07 15 at 23.09.00

You may also like to read:

* A Castle From the Hudson Valley is Getting Worldwide Attention

* Dream castle homes that normal people have rescued

* 'King Arthur' castle discovery: Mysterious inscription intrigues experts

About the Author

AAD REPORTS

AAD REPORTS

AAD REPORTS   Reports, news and opinion from Art-Antiques-Design.com